Adults in America have an average of three or more teeth that are missing or in need of replacement, according to the latest data from the National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research. Dental implants provide a permanent option for replacing missing teeth. A dental implant is made up of three parts: The post, which is permanently attached to the jawbone for stability; an abutment, which is a screw that connects the post to the replacement tooth; and the crown, which is a replica of your missing tooth. Dental implants offer many benefits and advantages over other options such as dentures or bridges.
Dental Implant Advantages
Here is a closer look at why you should consider dental implants for the replacement of missing teeth.
- Low Maintenance: Dentures are removable and require you to take them out to maintain them. This can be embarrassing if you have to take them out in front of others, and it's also a daily maintenance chore to take care of them. You also have the constant expense of messy adhesives to deal with, to ensure that the dentures stay in place. Dental implants eliminate all of that inconvenience. Once the implant is in, it's in to stay. They only require basic dental maintenance to care for them, such as your regular regimen of brushing and flossing.
- Improved Oral Stability: Missing teeth can cause a range of additional problems in your mouth. When a tooth is gone, the teeth next to it can shift in your mouth. This makes it uncomfortable to eat and can cause other teeth to become crooked over time, which requires additional dental care. Dental implants fill the space of missing teeth and support the surrounding teeth.
- Improved Appearance: Dental implants will look just like your natural teeth. You'll be able to smile, eat and carry on with normal activities without embarrassment or discomfort once you get used to the feel of your dental implants.
- Better Speech: People don't realize how much they rely on their teeth for speech. Speech problems can become even more pronounced with dentures, especially if they're improperly fitted or if they slide or adjust in your mouth unexpectedly. Dental implants are fixed in place, so your mouth will feel natural and your speech will be crystal clear at all times.
- More Comfortable for Meals: A missing tooth can make eating extremely uncomfortable. People with a missing tooth frequently eat on the other side of their mouth to avoid pain or sensitivity from the missing tooth. This can cause problems with jaw alignment or wear down the teeth more rapidly on one side of the mouth. Eating with dentures can be problematic as well; they tend to slide when a person eats certain foods, which can lead to pain, discomfort and embarrassment at the dinner table. With dental implants, none of these problems are present. You can enjoy your favorite foods with confidence.
- Self-Esteem Boost: There's nothing like having your smile fully restored to boost a person's self-esteem. Missing teeth are so embarrassing for most people that we don't even like to talk about the subject. A missing tooth can make people avoid smiling or eating out at a restaurant. Dental implants can be life-changing for people because they permanently restore their smile and help them regain their confidence when speaking with others.
- Extremely Durable: We say that dental implants are "permanent," and in the vast majority of cases, that is true. Your dental implants may last for decades or even until the end of your life, so long as you properly care for them. That means brushing and flossing on a daily basis, just like you would with natural teeth. You also need to keep up with your regular appointments for cleanings and checkups at Global Dental Group. If your dental implants need to be adjusted, our staff will catch any problems early that way. According to WebMD, dental implants have about a 98 percent success rate in all patients.
The dental implants that we use for patients are created right here in Orange County and are made from the highest-quality materials. If you think you might be a good candidate for dental implants, click the "Request Appointment" button to visit us as soon as possible.